Thursday, February 1, 2018

Highway of Tears


Watching the Highway of Tears documentary was pretty tough for me. I had never heard the statistic of native women being harmed or going missing compared to white women. I have definitely realized how much White Privilege I hold in the last few years. I grew up with educated parents and an in tack family unit. After my recent years working in the SPED school system, I came to know how lucky I am to have had such a stable upbringing.

One key aspect that resonated with me after reflecting on the documentary is how the media and police officials broadcast the women as worthless. They say they were alcoholics, homeless, or got around too much. Given our society's current climate, the public is then more likely say the women deserved it, or it was their fault. This is insane! Why would anyone ever think that treating another human so poorly is deserved regardless the circumstance. I have left establishments after a few too many drinks in my younger years, and thankfully had good friends and family to get me home safely. If something would have happened to me one of those nights, would that be how the media portrayed me? Probably not given my skin color and economic background. But, really what is the difference?

The hardest part of watching the film for me was thinking about my niece as one of these young girls. She has her father's last name, which is a traditional native american name. Also, she "looks native." She will have so many different experiences than I did given these factors. If something tragic such as what is happening on the Highway of Tears happened to her, I would be at a loss. And, to think this could happen just because of her skin color or name. I was thinking, would the media portray her as deserving it, or would the police and media come together to support the family and find her just because some of her family is white, well educated, and economically stable.

These women are someone's niece. They all deserve to be fought for and protected. The response from the police and media is disgusting. Why do we accept that some people deserve horrible outcomes or unequal treatment than others? However, we see it all the time.

My co teacher and I recently read SPEAK with our English students. We teach mostly boys, with only a few girls throughout the day. Our para asked us why we choose that book as she thought is was intended for a female audience. I feel very strongly that we need to teach our boys the appropriate way to treat women and the affects their behavior has on a women's development. No one deserves to be hurt, stolen or murdered no matter their appearance.

After class, I met my husband for dinner. He texted me that parking was horrible and to go park by his vehicle in the parking garage. However, he was already at the table. I found his truck and parked beside him, so we would be together on the way out. I was so nervous to walk alone to the restaurant, especially from the parking garage. I would have been nervous regardless, but was extra on edge after the movie. I texted him that I was leaving my car and pretty much ran to the street. I walked closely behind some men until I got to the restaurant. However, I was thinking, "Why do I think these men will protect me and not be the ones to hurt me? Is it because they are older white males? Would I be this comfortable if they were a different skin tone? Or would I be nervous to be close to them and looking for someone else to be near? They seem comfortable that I am near them. Would they be this comfortable if I was a different skin tone?" These are all things my husband did not have to worry about when walking to the restaurant due to our difference in gender.

1 comment:

  1. I shared the book Speak with a sophomore girl that was a struggling reader. She had told me that "I hate reading". After reading Speak and getting into the flow of reading, she started to pick up other books! I was so excited for her. It is a great book!

    Thank you for sharing your thoughts about walking to the restaurant. I remember the night (during my PhD) when in class I had an older, male professor confess that he had never considered himself as a threat. However, it had been brought to his attention that because of his physical presence that he could be considered threatening by a female. This realization really shook him and I think that it does to many males because it does not cross their minds. My own husband is 6'2 and over 250 pounds. He would not consider himself threatening walking behind you, but not knowing him, you might be concerned about a big, bearded guy. The point is, I agree completely becoming aware of one's privileges as they walk through this world is important.

    ReplyDelete

The Secret Side of Empty- Part B

Overall, I think this book did an adequate job showcasing the many issues that revolve around this topic. I say adequate because there was s...