Monday, February 26, 2018

The Hate You Give- Part 2


This was an incredible book. I have already recommended it to many people!

Although I have never personally experienced many of the issues, I was able to deeply connect with the characters. Reading this has helped me to understand the Black Lives Movement in a deeper way. I think this book would be a great tool to use in the classroom as it would allow students who have not experienced racism to understand. On the other hand, this book also gives those who have experienced racism towards themselves to feel like they have a voice and support.

Starr and Maya bring up a powerful discussion point on page 252. When the two friends are discussing Hailey saying hurtful comments Starr reflects wondering, "That's the problem. We let people say stuff, and they say it so much that it becomes okay to them and normal for us." I see this happening often among teenagers at my school. They think that they can say racial comments for a plethora of reasons: they perceive it as a joke, celebrities do it, they are friends with a person of the race, they are a person of the race. It happens so much in the media and social networks that people think that it is okay to do. However, the comments are hurtful and inappropriate. Reading about Starr and Maya discovering that they need to use their voice to stand up against Hailey was powerful for me to read as an adult. It allowed me to reflect on my own perception of jokes. The use of this book in the classroom would allow students to do the same while focusing on the characters rather than themselves or friends.

In correlation with the previous discussion point, Starr makes a powerful decision on page 433 that would also be a great discussion tool in the classroom. Starr decides that she no longer needs Hailey in her life and it is time to separate from her. This is a crucial lesson for teens to learn; however, it is also one that many unfortunately do not learn. Young people need to know that it is okay to distance yourself from someone that is toxic to your happiness and wellbeing. Many people go through life thinking that they have to be friends with someone because of their history, but Starr shows us that it is okay to move on from a person. She is a wise young woman with the support of her mother.

Angie Thomas dedicated this book, "to every kid in Georgetown and in all "the Gardens" of the world: your voices matter, your dreams matter, your lives matter. Be rose that grows in the concrete." (Acknowledgements). I really loved this statement. It reminded me of the book, The Help, where the nanny tells the young girl, "You is kind, you is smart, you is important." Young people need to hear words of encouragement such as these examples. They need to know that at least one adult thinks that their dreams matter. So many students have an uphill battle, and I hope to help them be a rose that grows in the concrete.

Great book! I think we should have read this last since no other book will top it, but hopefully I am wrong about that! I am looking forward to Angie Thomas's next publication!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Secret Side of Empty- Part B

Overall, I think this book did an adequate job showcasing the many issues that revolve around this topic. I say adequate because there was s...