Monday, February 19, 2018

The Hate You Give


This book is a page turner! And, I do not often get overly invested in a book. I ended up spending my whole Sunday afternoon on the couch.... cleaning, exercise, shoveling, shopping, and cooking all got postponed!

In the past few years, I have definitely become much more aware of my white privilege and how that affects my life. This book really caused me to reflect on how I would never experience the issues and struggles Starr must face solely due to our different skin colors. I do not worry that an officer will shoot me when I get pulled over. Once, when I was in high school, my mom and I were driving to see my Aunt in Great Falls. My mom got pulled over for speeding. It was only a few above the speed limit and it was going down a hill. The officer said he was just checking since it was Fourth of July weekend and wanted us to stay safe. He let us go on our way. This was before my awareness of issues such as this and how my skin color affects interactions such as this. I was talking to my mom when we drove off about it and she said something to the affect of, we had a nice car, we were buckled up, the dog was in a kennel, etc. I never really got her point at the time. Now, I realize that she is aware that the interaction could have gone much different for someone else.

Starr has the blessing of a caring and supportive family. My favorite quote of the whole book so far is in reference to Momma's feelings for Seven. "When he is around none of that matters. She loves him more than she hates Iesha." (Page 131) Wow! If all adults could put their feelings and drama aside, children would be so much better off. Instead, we so often see our students being used as pawns in a game between parents and other family members. It is heart breaking! Momma's attitude toward Seven is my favorite part of this book. How easily she could hate this child and let it tear him and his father a part. Rather, he is a member of the family and never thought of as different. He has the same moral expectations. I hope Seven can go on to be successful and help the movement.

When Starr and Chris get into their argument and Starr says, "You're white, I'm black. You're rich, I'm not." I found myself thinking of the TV show FRIENDS. There is an episode where Joey, Rachel, and Phoebe have an issue with the other three because they always want to go spend money. The others don't think it is a big deal. However, to the poor ones it is a big deal. Sometimes I feel this way with my family. They always want to go celebrate or do activities and it really kills my bank account! However, they just brush off my concerns because to them money is not a concern. This is as close as my white privilege self can understand what Starr is going through. To her, the race and financial topics are a huge concern. Rather than addressing them, Chris brushes them off like they do not matter. This does not fix the problem. Rather, it makes Starr feel like there is more of a rift between them.

Daddy brings up schools on page 169 saying that, "the schools in our neighborhoods don't prepare us well enough." This caused me cry a bit (not the first time for this book either!). I was just complaining to a fellow teacher I feel like I am failing my students. I get so worried for them to graduate and leave our building. This is also not an exciting time for my students. They do not have plans for college or careers like my friends and I did. They do not have a condo that their parents own to live in like we had. Heck, their parents probably will kick them out of the home soon. They need so much more support. I just do not know how to do more!

I can't wait to read the second half, but I forced myself to stop since I already had so much to talk about for this book. Also, I would have stayed up half the night to finish is and really off set my week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Secret Side of Empty- Part B

Overall, I think this book did an adequate job showcasing the many issues that revolve around this topic. I say adequate because there was s...