Saturday, March 17, 2018

The Inexplicable Logic of my Life- Part A

I had to fight with my mom to be able get the book back so I could read it! She has been watching my niece and nephew during the days at my house this week due to construction at my sister's house. She pulled this book out of my homework stash and insisted she finished it before giving it back! So, she approves as well!

This book is another page turner. I could have laid in bed all day and finished it, but I did not allow myself that luxury.  At first, I was so curious to find out how Sal got to be with his father that raised him. Now that we know that, I am curios to know how his mother passed and if he will find his biological father. This alone is enough to keep me reading.

There are two big ideas that I love about this book and are great for young readers to learn and connect with: emotions and words.

The author has done a fantastic job of expressing the many emotions that the characters are dealing with. I love, love, love (one more love for good measure...) that the dad, Mr. V, tells his son that it is okay to cry. This is so very powerful for young adults to hear. I think we have created a world where so many people think that emotions are bad. Why?! They are so natural and normal. However, we muffle them down and say things like boys shouldn't cry.

I also love how Sam is described by Sal at the very beginning. "She could be a storm. But she could be a soft candle lighting up a dark room." I love this description. I immediately texted it to a few friends. These are my people. People like Sam who are so alive! The emotion of these characters are so well created, and I see students easily identifying with them.

In addition to the author's use of emotions, I also love his use of the importance of words. This is another powerful life lesson. Words are crucial. One's choice in words is so important; however, so many humans do not see or understand this. This book has honestly caused for some serious self-reflection... I will not be waiting a week to finish the second half!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Secret Side of Empty- Part B

Overall, I think this book did an adequate job showcasing the many issues that revolve around this topic. I say adequate because there was s...