Sunday, March 18, 2018

The Inexplicable Logic of my Life- Part B

Okay... so I am a liar. Well, kind of. I knew I wouldn't wait a week until the next class requirements to finish the book, but I said I didn't give myself the luxury to read it all in one day. However, after I posted Part A, I did a few things around the house that I felt required to do on a weekend. Then my husband started watching a movie. It was getting "late" on a Saturday night, so I knew I wasn't going to do anything else productive with work, school,  or the house, and I didn't want to watch his choice of movie. I left him to continue reading in the bedroom. "Just another fifty pages to get a little ahead," I kept telling myself.... I finished the book! I have not read a whole book in one day in so very long, if ever actually!

I have a favorite page in this book. And, I know that is a little odd. But, I knew to write the page number down because I was so adamant that this was my favorite page. Page 284. So, not even too close to the end of the book. It isn't just one line or one paragraph... the whole page is quote worthy. I wish we were in class right now so I could read it to you guys and probably cry a little! No one had ever told Fito that he deserved better. I hope that I have done this and continue to do it for my kids! Nobody ever cared enough about him to give him rules. This is my kids' lives. Then they come to my structured class and flourish. Administrators have said things like wow, I am so surprised (insert struggling student's name) is doing well. Students likes rules and expectations. And, in my class specifically, like Mr. V, I care about these kids and they know that. Side note, I am totally crushing on Mr. V...

So, I got my questions answered about Sal's biological mother and father. I love how it all came together! I liked the focus on nature versus nurture. This is powerful for so many teens! I want all my students to have a growth mindset and be like Sal. You can be anyone you want to be. You might have to work your tail off like Fito, or be cautious of your actions like Sal, but you have the power within. Does it stink that you were born in the locker room and not on 3rd base. Heck ya! I have had many similar conversations with kids, and I will be using this analogy next time!

Now I realize, the gay characters were never a main talking point for me when reflecting on this book. I agree with what Kari has said about it not being the whole story, and I definitely liked that aspect of it. I openly accept the LGBTQ community. There is so much others can learn from their struggles and fight, and I hope to see constant positive progression for our world in relations to LGBTQ.

1 comment:

  1. Fito is my favorite character! I appreciate deeply your favorite page and I too hope all my students (past and present) feel as though I care.

    ReplyDelete

The Secret Side of Empty- Part B

Overall, I think this book did an adequate job showcasing the many issues that revolve around this topic. I say adequate because there was s...